Monday, January 22, 2007

More money for Murdoch

Pie in the SKYSo for the past three weeks or so we've been having all manner of problems with our broadband connection. Although we've only had a half-meg connection, for the past twenty one months its been (until recently) absolutely rock solid. Connections held for months at a time. Ok, it took three months and four engineers to get it up and running - but since then its been fine. Then it started dropping connections for hours, then days at a time. Twenty calls to Tesco later I eventually gave up with their Customer Services and got put through to the optimistically titled 'Retentions Department' to process my cancellation. It was busy and they promised to call me back when someone was free. How bad a sign is that? Anyhoo, as good as their word someone called Oliver called five minutes later and I explained the issues. He sounded resigned to the cancellation and made polite noises about the lack of progress on my problem. My MAC address takes two working days to generate and then we'll be on the phone to SKY. Jules got sent details of their new Surf, Speak and See package. Free calls evenings and weekends, hundreds of telly channels and (up to) eight meg downloads (we shall see, anything above half meg would be a bonus for me) and a 40Gb download limit (looks like I'll become a regular of the xvid movie bins going forward) . Fingers crossed their wireless router and LLU service has had any problems ironed out since it was launched last autumn. I said I'd never go back to SKY but sure enough their guy is coming with the new dish'n'box on Saturday. On the plus side it leaves the door open to adding HD/SKY+ when money permits..

2 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

Ahhhh - I should have waited for the blog post instead of commenting on Flickr.

Hope it works out. I may move to Sky soon depending ona few things. I just feel a bit dodgy as when I used Easynets LLU service it was flaky. Remember all that lag nonsense on Halo. I'm sure that was me.

Anyway - good luck. Mention of Sky HD and 360 in the same year makes me think an HD tv is on the cards too.

1/22/2007 09:06:00 pm  
Blogger dietbruboy said...

Its a lot money once you start totting things up. I'm only saying that cause Jules has decided to take the full year off this time around and whilst we're not watching every penny, there's not a load of slack for any big spends. At least not until later in the year. God knows how I'll cope when H3 does come out. ;-)

1/23/2007 08:09:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home