Wednesday, September 20, 2006

'Creepy' Boots Advert Banned

I read with interest that this summers Boots Soltan 'children sunbathing' advert was banned by the Advertising Standards Agency after nine viewers complained. The gist of the complaint was that kids shouldn't be left out sunbathing like adults, and common sense dictated that they should be covered up, wearing hats and playing in the shade and not lying out like a footballers wife... Jules and I talked about this advert during the summer and we both found it fairly uncomfortable viewing. I don't think that was grounds for banning it though, as it was trying to get across a strong message about protecting children from the harmful effects of the sun. However, this isn't the first time Boots have came a cropper when it comes to suncare adverts. In 2004 their 'Mother' advert received two complaints (not a typo, just two) about their "five star UVA protection" resulting in it getting pulled. You may also recall their Calvin Klein spoofing 'Medicated Skincare Range' adverts of last year (I think), where a load of fashion types get progressively more sunburned and freckly. Also quite creepy. I have some sympathy with Boots - and I don't know if this is just a nostalgic hangover from my childhood. It was a store my mum would recommend WITHOUT QUESTION with the same tone of certainty she used when urging me to eat Markies ready meals when I first moved away from home (what with not being able to cook uppermost in her mind). You stick by Boots and Markies and they'll see you right seemed to be the core of her maternal advice. Bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home