Thursday, August 24, 2006

What is it with horror movies?

Almost all of my mates refuse point blank to watch horror films and I think they're missing out on something really special. My Gramps once lent me a video he'd taped off Channel 4, 'you'll love this one - it's a cracker' and he said no more about it. Audition begins like a sweet love story, then maybe sixty minutes in it descends into complete and utter madness. I like a shock as much as the next Carstairs patient, but I watched most of the end through my fingers. Amazing. Ok these aren't going to win any Oscars, but for adrenalin rushes they are hard to beat. Recent favourites include Cabin Fever, Wrong Turn, Jeepers Creepers, The Hills Have Eyes, Hostel, Wolf Creek, Hard Candy, Texas Chainsaw and Saw. See for yourself, there is a load of trailers here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

I just don't enjoy them. But then I am a wimp.

While your talking films have you seen Tonari No Totoro. It's by the same guy that did Spirited Away - Shakeel recommends as do I having acquired it...today...somehow.

8/24/2006 04:51:00 pm  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

All those recent you listed are indeed great, though Wolf Creek was almost too much for me .. I'll definitely have to check out the other one!

8/24/2006 11:16:00 pm  
Blogger dietbruboy said...

Tonari No Totoro? No, but I did watch Hotaru No Haka (I'm not making this up!) - or Grave of the Fireflies, really quite sad and poignant. Jules slept through it, but she is a philistine! Wolf Creek was so harsh for the simple reason that you spent an hour really getting to know the characters, not your usual Hollywood stereotypes either, real likeable people. Which made the end so harsh - no wonder folk walked out of the premiere.

8/25/2006 09:48:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home